Topshop and HTML 5

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@miscoranda.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:41:53 +0100
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>
Hi Sam,

Caitlin Moran wrote yesterday about Topshop and fashion:

“The Oxford Circus Topshop changing rooms are an awe-inspiring and
emotional place: they are the front line of British fashion. I would
estimate that around 80 per cent of this country’s debut experiences
with new ‘fashion risk’ items — harem pants, capes, hologrammic rave
leggings, shoulder pads like a linebacker — happen there. It’s the
first place that the woo-hoo nuttiness of the catwalk becomes
available for under £100 and in up to a size 16.”
— Why Americans could soon be Topshopaholics [1]

And today I was shown Peter-Paul Koch's article about the <time>
element,[2] with all the attendant fuss. Suddenly, upon reading, I
realised that the Topshop metaphor is exactly what's needed for HTML
right now: that the W3C ought to deliver the woo-hoo nuttiness of Web
2.0 for under £100 and in up to a size 16.

And I thought you might dig the idea.

Thanks,

[1] http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/caitlin_moran/article6031320.ece
[2] http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2009/04/making_time_saf.html