From: Dan Brickley [mailto:danbri@danbri.org]
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 5:01 AM
To: LMM@acm.org
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
Subject: Plans for http://larry.masinter.net/duri.html ?

Hi there

There's been a bit of discussion this week on the TAG and RDFa lists
about "the thing described by" and related techniques for indirect
identification. So I thought I'd drop you note to find out if you have
any plans to continue work on the "duri" and "tdb" namespaces, whether
as URN registrations, standalone URI schemes, or a subspace eg. of tag:
  URIs.

My own interest comes from some similar tricks used in the FOAF RDF
vocabulary, where I have a property "isPrimaryTopicOf" (and an inverse,
  primaryTopic) used for indirectly identifying things via eg. wikipedia
pages. We don't directly have the temporal aspect though (due to the way
RDF works). FOAF also uses a similar trick for other kinds of
identifying property, such as email, openid, hashed email etc. -
http://rdfweb.org/mt/foaflog/archives/2003/07/10/12.05.33/

The recent interest around tdb: comes from discussion of RDFa, a syntax
for embedding RDF inside XHTML and HTML, to make more of the page's
prose content machine readable. Naturally this often touches on the
identification and description of the "thing described by" that page,
... hence this mail.

Thanks for any thoughts,

cheers,

Dan