xproc, csv, lqraps...?

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:41:40 +0100
To: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Cc: "www-archive@w3.org" <www-archive@w3.org>

(copying www-archive... why not..?)

Hey Norm,

Well I finally decided to learn what XProc does. I think I'm getting the
idea. But one thing caught my eye,

	5.10 Read/Write Non-XML File
	Read a CSV file and convert it to XML.
	Process the document with XSLT.
	Convert the result to a CSV format using text serialization.

...in the requirements and use-cases doc. Also the main spec has a brief
mention of a CSV scenario. But I can't really find much more detail on
what can be done with CSV. Is the idea just that comma-separated data
files can be brought in as strings, processed in their entirity within
XSLT etc., ... or that libraries will offer some richer built-in support
for dealing with the various flavours of CSV (and tab-SV) formats out there?

Reason for asking: I have a proposal / thought experiment on idea of
coming up with a convention for stuffing CSV-to-RDF mapping information
into the comment section of tab/comma-separated files.
http://danbri.org/words/2008/02/29/287
http://danbri.org/2008/lqraps/lqraps.html

...and it occured to me that maybe xproc is a nice environment for such
things if there will ever be a standard set of CSV handlers (in xslt or
native code).

Thinking out loud...

cheers

Dan