Re: ZIP-based packages and URI references within them, [widgets, uriBasedPackageAccess-61]

On 25 Nov 2008, at 21:01, Dan Connolly wrote:

> In the recent join TAG/WebApps ftf session, I learned that
> a lot of that other stuff is not so unrelated.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2008/10/20-wam-minutes.html#item12
> (Marcos's slides are attached to those minutes thru
> a rather indirect route, so here's a more direct link:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008OctDec/att-0299/TPAC_URISchemes.pdf
>  )
>
> Software installation security policy requirements seem to dominate,
> for the purpose of WebApp widgets. I was surprised to learn that
> URIs using the scheme they have in mind aren't actually written down
> in
> absolute form; they're sort of conjured up at run-time, and it
> can lead to security/privacy problems if anybody else learns
> about them. Are those requirements relevant to ebook scenarios?

I don't think they are relevant to the Open Office scenario.

There the main problem is just that we would like to use relative URIs
for RDF inside the OpenOffice document package, and have a clear way
of transforming those into full URIs, so they can then be merged with
other information on the web.

It seems that jar: urls both work quite well, and are well deployed in
this case. They also have been used to what amounts to something
similar to a widget, a java applet.

Jar file formats are specified here:
   http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jar/jar.html
I found a Jar URLs syntax proposal here:
  http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/resources/guide/software/JavaHelp/Specification/misc/Jar.html