RE: IE8 incompatibility issues (was: Re: Issue: IE 8 adds new DOM Properties for ARIA -- not compatible with other impls)

From: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:47:34 -0700
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Marc Silbey <marcsil@windows.microsoft.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com>, "w3c-wai-pf@w3.org" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
CC: Cullen Sauls <cullens@microsoft.com>, Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>, Aaron M Leventhal <aleventh@us.ibm.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, David Poehlman <poehlman1@comcast.net>, "www-archive@w3.org" <www-archive@w3.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Simon Pieters [mailto:simonp@opera.com] wrote:
>I understand that IE works this way internally, but this behavior -- that
>all attributes are reflected by DOM attributes and that any DOM attributes
>(or JS properties) on elements also turn into real attributes -- is not
>backed up by any DOM spec, and Opera, Safari and Firefox don't do this. In
>those browsers, unknown attributes are only accessible with
>getAttribute(), and saying elm.foobar = 'x' just creates a JS property
>"foobar" without adding/changing the "foobar" attribute on the element.

IIRC, this does not necessarily happen with unknown attributes - only with known attributes.  If it's a known attribute, it gets reflected into the DOM with camelCasing.  If it's an unknown/unrecognized attribute, it is only accessible via getAttribute().

-Chris