Re: IE8 incompatibility issues

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:54:05 +0100, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> should force quirks mode in IE8 even if the HTTP header or the meta tag
> says IE=7 (or 8 or edge etc.), otherwise if authors create pages that
> use the meta but no doctype or a quirky doctype and only test in IE8,
> those pages would expect standards mode but get quirks mode in other
> browsers (including IE7).

It seems that the reverse is also currently true, namely documents with a
non-quirky doctype can trigger quirks with the meta by specifying IE=5 or
IE=6. In order to avoid problems, I would kindly suggest to not recognize
the values 5 and 6, just like 1..4 are not recognized (if you're going to
keep x-ua-compatible).

    http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?%3C!DOCTYPE%20HTML%3E%0D%0A%3Cmeta%20http-equiv%3Dx-ua-compatible%20content%3Die%3D5%3E%0D%0A%3Cscript%3Edocument.write(document.compatMode)%3C%2Fscript%3E

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software