Re: IE8 incompatibility issues (was: Re: Issue: IE 8 adds new DOM Properties for ARIA -- not compatible with other impls)

Hi Chris,

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:44:04 +0100, Chris Wilson
<Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Actually, Anne's post was not very clear about the ARIA point as well as
> others.

In IE8 you can do

   element.ariaDisabled = true

This is not possible in any other browser. In other browsers you are
required to do

   element.setAttribute("aria-disabled", "true")

So if people use the former it will only work in IE8. Also, the idea was
that ARIA scripts would work for older browsers as well as AT could simply
read the DOM. If you introduce DOM attributes (such as ariaDisabled) this
whould no longer be true.

> Yeah, I see that, and I've been thinking about that very issue.  Not
> clear to me if Opera is happy if we simply make it so a standards-mode
> DOCTYPE is necessary, as some of the invective is still demanding
> removal of IE7 compatibility altogether.

We're not happy with documentMode, but making X-UA-Compatible work just
for standards mode would be an improvement. Just like doing IE8 mode by
default is an improvement.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

--