Re: Browsers, closed captioning and quicktime

Hi,

CCed Aaron Leventhal in addition to www-archive.

Thank you for looking this up, and sorry about the delay of my reply.

On May 16, 2008, at 15:11, Karl Dubost wrote:

> About closed captioning and quicktime
>
>> Built-in solutions
>> Solutions such as QuickTime Text Track provide closed captioning,
>> while iChat AV and iSight provide the first video conferencing
>> solution with strong enough clarity to allow sign language
>> communication over the Internet. With these built-in accessibility
>> features, Macs enhance teaching and learning for a person who is
>> deaf or hard of hearing.
>> http://www.apple.com/education/accessibility/disabilities/hearing/
>
> It doesn't give that much info, exploring further, I found
>
> * Text Tracks
>  http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/texttracks.html
> * Text Descriptors
>  http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/textdescriptors.html

To me, that looks like the old pre-3GPP QuickTime stuff.

> I found also movies in Itunes which were done with Text Track and
> its working in Safari 3.1 and Camino. Example. It was on by default
> and I didn't find anyway to remove it in the browser.
> http://tecnocato.podbean.com/2008/03/03/tecnocato-hd-0091-how-to-make-a-great-lunar-eclipse-video/

This one looks interesting. The container file appears to be an MPEG-4
container. Yet, QuickTime Player suggests that the text track might be
of the old kind--not of the 3GPP kind. I wonder what's really going on
here.

I had expected 3GPP Timed Text to be the only text track type around
for MPEG-4 containers.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi