RE: <scene> (and other advanced proposals)

I'd be fine if they want to have discussion on www-html; I do like the wiki (or other similar permanent, structured storage) idea for collecting "HTML6 brainstorming".

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael(tm) Smith [mailto:mike@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:15 AM
To: Chris Wilson
Cc: Dan Connolly; www-archive
Subject: Re: <scene> (and other advanced proposals)

Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, 2008-06-18 10:54 -0700:

> I'm looking for some way for people with ideas like Dmitry's to
> feel that we're not simply saying "go away," but instead that
> their ideas will come up for consideration at an appropriate
> time.

I agree that we should try to have a place where anybody has the
opportunity to contribute ideas for HTML that they have to offer,
no matter how far-fetched or unlikely to make it into this rev of
the language. There's some value to brainstorming or noodling
about "what if" ideas -- even ideas that clearly don't seem likely
at all to get support from browser vendors any time soon or from
other stakeholders in the community and that nobody else has shown
much enthusiasm for yet.

I don't think that everybody e-mailing all 350+ members for the
HTML WG public-html every time they have a "what if" idea is what
any of us would ideally like to happen.

To help facilitate discussion of those kinds of ideas among people
who want to discuss them, maybe we can can get volunteers in the
group to consider setting up and maintaining some alternative
means for enabling discussion of them (alternative to having them
got straight out to public-html first).

What would be the best means for doing that, I'm not sure. The
Wiki does seem like one possibly appropriate place. A separate
mailing list that people can opt-in to is another -- though I
recognize that we already have a lot of mailing lists for the
group. Maybe www-html would be appropriate?

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/