inserted into CSS3-UI

From: Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:01:52 +0000
  To: wai-xtech@w3.org, wai-liaison@w3.org
  Cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subj: CSS User Preferences for Colors Support Query

[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2007Dec/0026.html]

aloha!

is anyone aware of ANY user agents that support "User preferences for
colors", as defined in CSS2?  it seems like one of the most sane
approaches to honoring the user's default operating system environment's
settings:

18.2 User preferences for colors
[source: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/ui.html#system-colors]
[compare to: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/ui.html]

In addition to being able to assign pre-defined color values to text,
backgrounds, etc., CSS2 allows authors to specify colors in a manner that
integrates them into the user's graphic environment. Style rules that
take into account user preferences thus offer the following advantages:

  1. They produce pages that fit the user's defined look and feel.
  2. They produce pages that may be more accessible as the current
     user settings may be related to a disability.

The set of values defined for system colors is intended to be exhaustive.
For systems that do not have a corresponding value, the specified value
should be mapped to the nearest system attribute, or to a default color.

The following lists additional values for color-related CSS attributes
and their general meaning. Any color property (e.g., 'color' or
'background-color') can take one of the following names. Although these
are case-insensitive, it is recommended that the mixed capitalization
shown below be used, to make the names more legible.

ActiveBorder
   Active window border.

ActiveCaption
   Active window caption.

AppWorkspace
   Background color of multiple document interface.

Background
   Desktop background.

ButtonFace
   Face color for three-dimensional display elements.

ButtonHighlight
   Dark shadow for three-dimensional display elements (for edges facing
away from the light source).

ButtonShadow
   Shadow color for three-dimensional display elements.

ButtonText
   Text on push buttons.

CaptionText
   Text in caption, size box, and scrollbar arrow box.

GrayText
   Grayed (disabled) text. This color is set to #000 if the current
display driver does not support a solid gray color.

Highlight
   Item(s) selected in a control.

HighlightText
   Text of item(s) selected in a control.

InactiveBorder
   Inactive window border.

InactiveCaption
   Inactive window caption.

InactiveCaptionText
   Color of text in an inactive caption.

InfoBackground
   Background color for tooltip controls.

InfoText
   Text color for tooltip controls.

Menu
   Menu background.

MenuText
   Text in menus.

Scrollbar
   Scroll bar gray area.

ThreeDDarkShadow
   Dark shadow for three-dimensional display elements.

ThreeDFace
   Face color for three-dimensional display elements.

ThreeDHighlight
   Highlight color for three-dimensional display elements.

ThreeDLightShadow
   Light color for three-dimensional display elements (for edges facing
the light source).

ThreeDShadow
   Dark shadow for three-dimensional display elements.

Window
   Window background.

WindowFrame
   Window frame.

WindowText
   Text in windows.

For example, to set the foreground and background colors of a paragraph
the same foreground and background colors of the user's window, write the
following:

P { color: WindowText; background-color: Window }

--- END EXTENDED QUOTE

the CSS2.1 draft notes that the UI section on using system colors
and respecting user settings will be deprecated with the CSS3-color
module (http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color)

these CSS properties are the sanest way to respect a user's operating
system preferences, and should be promoted -- and perhaps highlit as
an important accessibility feature in any final comments submitted to
the CSS 2.1 editors...

gregory.
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of
focus.                                           -- Mark Twain

=-=-=