RE: [whatwg] Creative Commons Rights Expression Language

Dan Brickley wrote:
> Bonner, Matt wrote:
>> speaking only for myself....
> [...]
>>> I would love to see reactions from the HTML5 group that are a little
>>> more productive than "you don't really need what you think you
>>> need."
>>
>> It may come across that way, but I read it more as the natural
>> reaction of a working group to any newcomer who arrives with a
>> list of fully-baked needs.
>
> (as an aside)
> You may have put your finger on a big part of the communications
> problem here. Each is treating the other as a newcomer. We've all
> been very busy in our own historical timelines and other groups, so
> tend to treat the other party as the newcomer whose duty it is to
> catch up and explain how they fit in. And each in turn is feeling
> like they're being treated as (implicitly clueless) newcomers, with
> their experience and prior work not being appreciated.
>
> cheers,
>
> Dan
>
> ps. instead of typing that, it was quite tempting to mention how long
> before HTML5 "we" have been working on this stuff, and how HTML5 was
> the newcomer effort. Which would have probably elicited a "well you
> should have more to show for it then" from an HTML5 enthusiast. Which
> would've probably gotten an unflattering response re HTML5 by return,
> etc etc. I really think we can all do better when it comes to
> inter-group dialog...

Sorry, yes, not newcomer, "new arrival to the WG". Thanks for giving
me the benefit of the doubt.

I completely respect the work CC is doing, but I've come to believe
that when you're asking for something, you'll get the best results by
first understanding the context of the person you're asking.

Matt
--
Matt Bonner
Hewlett-Packard Company