Re: [whatwg] Creative Commons Rights Expression Language

Dan Brickley wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure you know this, of course, so I'm confused by your
>> arguments. This is not exactly an honest discussion where you're trying
>> to tease out the truth, it's more a discussion where you're looking for
>> excuses to kill the proposal.
>
> Ben,
>
> I see no evidence that Henri wants to mislead. Please don't put things
> down to dishonesty that are equally well explained in terms of
> miscommunication, lack of shared context, and different (perhaps
> unarticulated) assumptions.

Dan: I appreciate your point. That said, there are times when it's
crucial to the discussion to point out that "hey, it really doesn't
appear like this person wants to understand the issue." In such a
situation, debate is a waste of everyone's time.

So sure, let's be civil and aggressively debate our ideas without
sugar-coating. In that spirit, I stand by what I said: from the
exchanges so far, it appears to me that Henri is trying to bury the
proposal.

>> Yet another reason why I'm reluctant to invest the time necessary to put
>> together the full proposal.
>
> That's a shame. When AC Reps come to review the finished HTML5 product
> from the HTML WG, it would be good to have had a solid RDFa-in-HTML5
> proposal out there for discussion. Hopefully HTML5 will have a mechanism
> for including RDFa; if not, many will want to know why. If anything is
> clear from the current discussion, it is that we collectively lack a
> shared perspective on how within-the-Web-page data and metadata should
> work. Having a written down proposal is important - let me know how I
> can help.

So, if you want something that discusses the general issue of
within-HTML data and metadata, I think ccREL does a pretty good job of
explaining the core needs and design principles. And the reaction to
ccREL within this group is a strong indication of how a more
RDFa-specific proposal will likely be handled.

I would love to see reactions from the HTML5 group that are a little
more productive than "you don't really need what you think you need."

> I'm sure a small group of these could be assembled to discuss an
> RDFa-for-HTML5 proposal, should one be made.

This is not an issue of time or desire, it's an issue of first checking
that there's a receptive target.

-Ben