Re: secure URLs

Martin Uecker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to ideas about URLs and don't know who to bug about it ;-)

These are both good ideas; I've seen some work on them and
would like to see more...

> a thing I always missed are URLs which include certain security
> information. These URLs would come in two flavours:
>
> One kind for static content where the URL contains
> a cryptographic hash of the destination. The client would then
> check the content against the hash and show an error if it
> doesn't match.

I don't recall where I've seen work on this.
One place is http://www.metalinker.org/ but that puts
the checksum in an XML data format, not within the URL itself.

> This would extend the common praxis of providing
> md5sums together URLs to binary content to guard against
> trojaned programs on compromised servers or against simple
> data corruption. Unfortunately, most people are to lazy to
> check this hashes manually. Including the hash into the URL
> and make this check automatically in the browser would make
> this kind of protection a simple default. Besides replacing
> this historical use of md5sums, this kind of protection is
> certainly usefull in a lot of different applications.
>
> The other kind of URL would contain the fingerprint of a public key
> which could be used authentificate the destination.

See
http://www.waterken.com/dev/YURL/httpsy/

You might also talk with Tyler Close, the developer,
about barriers to adoption that he ran into.