Re: [html4all] On HTML WG process - was [Re: Request for review of alt and alt value for authoring or publishing tools]

Hi Dan,
>>> As an individual, I do think that the HTML5 WG actually seeking advice
>>> from PFWG, as well as the WAI offering advice on a regular on-going
>>> basis would be most beneficial to process improvement.
>
>> Perhaps you could be more specific about how that would be
>> different from what is currently happening?

[...]

> For one example, the editor could ask ahead of time for PFWG advice
> when needed.

I think so to, also if the editor had more interaction with WAI,
particularly when accessibility is not a primary area of expertise, and
the outcome of decisions made by the editor will undoubtedly have a
profound impact on that domain.

>Collaborate with the experts in advance. Listen to them.

My sense is that input is often not taken seriously. Even informed and
well considered advice can be dismissed out of hand, I feel, which has
been at times exasperating.

> Also refraining from intentionally inciting a flame war [1] would be
> helpful.

Yes, this has not been a highlight. It polarises people and just
decreases the signal to noise ratio.

Accessibility is an area that is often seen as one which holds progress
back or is somehow a drag or burden. We must work progressively to
change this perception and a less polarized WG would help this a great
deal, comments like the one below do not help.

As a final thought, accessibility as a social function, is actually a
little like entropy encoding, to use an analogy in that a lot of
resources often need be used to facilitate the needs of a minority of
users. This is a vital function in a healthy society.

Cheers

Josh