Re: Announcement: "Cool URIs for the Semantic Web" - W3C SWEO IG Note

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:22:11 -0400
To: Mark Diggory <mdiggory@MIT.EDU>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org

> In this particular case, I speculate DCMI thought it was
> getting around that issue by using purl.org which issues a 302
> instead of a 303, thinking it would be cached, but doesn't appear to
> happen in my browser.  If purl.org were returning a 303, the point I
> make would be more obvious.

(historical aside)

That's a clever speculation, but I don't think that's what actually
happened.  purl.org and dcmi long predate the idea of using "303 See
Other" for this application.  (303 for the semweb was my idea (circa
2003); purl.org and dcmi'a use of it were due largely to Eric Miller (in
the 90's); when I suggested to Eric to use 303, he said it sounded like
a good idea, but he wasn't involved in running them any more.)

      -- Sandro