Re: "HTML5 microsyntaxes instead of XSD datatypes"

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 19:13:28 +0100
Cc: Henry Thompson <ht@w3.org>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>

On 2 Apr 2008, at 18:53, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Please help me remember to follow up; i.e. find
> test cases that distinguish the two designs and find out
> what requirements, if any, motivate the differences.

Sorry for jumping in on this like this (I saw this on -archive), but
the answer is the normal one: there is a large amount of content that
relies on the existing algorithms. There are known bugs in the
algorithms, but I do have tests for what is currently there (at least
for the numeric ones) at <http://hg.gsnedders.com/php-html-5-direct/file/tip/tests/numbersTest
 > (see the README file in the same folder for more info).

I'd massively dislike to see HTML 5 using different algorithms in
different places, so I firmly believe we should just stick with one
algorithm everywhere, which due to the afore mentioned already
deployed content, must be similar to what we already have.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>