Re: Investigating the proposed alt attribute recommendations in HTML 5

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:25:09 -0400
Cc: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>
To: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) (17 sept. 2007 - 12:26) :
> Right, so where are the "different parties" in your phrase
> "the needs of implementers" ?  The only parties I can find
> there are implementors -- what about the needs of
>
> 	o consumers

Are everyone else, Usually, products exist only because there are
consumers. If consumers are not satisfied, the products die.

> 	o designers

designers are implementers and consumers. They consume some products.

> 	o those with special accessibility needs

These are consumers too. The ethics goal of caring for them is a
noble goal, but is not very effective (unfortunately) in our society.
The goal is more that there is really a need to make business with
these users. Plus the fact it is easier to accommodate Web
technologies to people with special needs than in the physical world.

> and the vision/advice/expertise of
>
> 	o computer scientists
> 	o human factors engineers
> 	o psychologists
> 	o linguists
>
> and so on.

All of these are part of the product design (implementers).

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***