Re: let authors choose text/html or application/xhtml+xml (detailed review of section 1. Introduction)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 02:14:00 +0000 (UTC)
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Sam Ruby wrote:

> (*) I can only presume that the current HTML5 draft reflects Ian's
> current thinking on the matter which is that certain media types are to
> be treated as authoritative, and others are to be treated as a hint and
> possibly overridden based on sniffing.

Actually, it doesn't. I think we should dump Content-Type altogether. The
spec represents the closest I could get to the existing specs (in
particular HTTP) without being ignored by browser vendors. There are many
things in the HTML5 spec that I disagree with, but that are there because
rational arguments were made and evidence presented. Another example of
something in HTML5 I don't want there is the /> nonsense you argued for. :-)