Re: Literal slashes in javascript: IRIs

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoehrmann-javascript-scheme-00 says:
>> Use of a byte order mark and literal use of the character "/" should
>> be avoided.
>

> The latter requirement seems impractical. Why is this requirement
> present? Could it be relaxed?
>
> It doesn't seem particularly plausible that javascript: IRI would
> participate in a generic IRI/URI operation absolutizing a relative
> reference relative to a javascript: IRI. Letting a javascript: URI serve
> as the base URI of an HTML document seems non-sensical, for example,
> regardless of the presence of slashes.

I personally don't see how the use of "javascript:" in HTML href
attributes could be made consistent with what the definition of a URI is
(yes, I know, Björn disagrees, but then the scheme hasn't been
registered yet, right?).

So for the work in HTML I think it would be better to use a different
term, and to generally discourage their use (Q: can't the same effects
be achieved using onClick="..." ?).

BR, Julian