Re: HTML5 For Authors

Karl Dubost wrote:
> I'm not anymore the staff contact of HTML WG. Mike is.

I know.  I already spoke to him about it on IRC earlier and he didn't
express any concerns about me doing it.

> It is more the WG to decide and maybe part of the Web designers
> community than me.

I realise that, but getting a straight answer out of 500 people is a lot
more difficult than just asking the WG Chair.  Given that this authoring
document has been discussed for a few months now, and no-one has put
forward any sort of solid proposal yet, it seems the best approach now
is for someone to just make a start and see how it goes.

What I could do is check in what I have into CVS, mail the list and say
this is the proposal and see what people think.  If people don't like it
or, if at any time, the group doesn't want me to continue as the editor
(or co-editor, if someone else volunteers as well), I'd be willing to
step down.

> What would be good to do before taking any ownership on the documents is
> to ask communities around: WASP, WSG, ParisWeb, W3QC, Evolt, etc. Then
> you collect the requirements of these people. (I can help you for the
> French and Japanese Web communities).

I collected lots of feedback about what authors want in HTML5 from
various web developer communities at the beginning of the year,
including WASP who helped seek feedback from people who speak several
different languages.

http://www.webstandards.org/2006/11/07/have-your-say-about-the-future-of-html/

If you can get more, that would be great.

> It will smooth the process so people will not be suspicious. Do not
> forget that you are now an employee of a browser company (Opera) and
> part of the whatwg for a long time.

I'm not sure how working for Opera now and having been part of the
WHATWG for a long time is a problem in this case.  As I see it, it's an
advantage since I have a really good understanding of the spec, and have
been paying attention to relevant feedback for a long time.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/