RE: [whatwg] void elements vs. content model = "empty"

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:

> Well, thanks for the explanation.  The explanation lacks one point
> though: such content will simply get dropped by innerHTML.  I do not
> have an opinion whether it is right or wrong, I just wanted to say it
> explicitly because it sounds odd.

Yes, the HTML version of innerHTML has a number of limitations. This is
discussed in the spec:

# If the element's contents are not conformant, it is possible that the
# roundtripping through innerHTML will not work. For instance, if the
# element is a textarea element to which a Comment node has been appended,
# then assigning innerHTML to itself will result in the comment being
# displayed in the text field. Similarly, if, as a result of DOM
# manipulation, the element contains a comment that contains the literal
# string "-->", then when the result of serialising the element is parsed,
# the comment will be truncated at that point and the rest of the comment
# will be interpreted as markup. Another example would be making a script
# element contain a text node with the text string "</script>".

Actually I should update that to mention that it can happen with
conformant content as well.