Re: [W3C docs] We should teach by example.

 -public-html
 +www-archive, DanC, AnneVK, karl

gonchuki <gonchuki@gmail.com>, 2007-07-06 02:11 -0300:

> I have been looking through the source code of the "HTML 5 differences
> from HTML 4" document [1] as part of the Spanish translation task
> along with Alejandro Fern«”ndez and it came to my notice that the
> source is in pretty bad condition.
>
> Documents are coming from the W3C should not just comply with
> standards, they should teach by example on *how* documents are to be
> written.

Please note that I'm sending this message not in any official
capacity as a designated representative for the HTML WG (which I'm
not) nor as officially representing W3C policy. It is simply a
personal suggestion.

So... While I can understand your point, I don't think it's
necessary for you to communicate it on the public-html mailing
list nor for any discussion to take place about it on the
public-html mailing list. It's something you can discuss off-list
directly with the editor of the document, Anne van Kesteren.

To put it other terms, there's really nothing that anybody in the
group other than Anne can do to help provide a solution to the
problem you describe, so there's no reason to turn the attention
of the group toward the problem.

I guess you may have noticed that we already have a very large
volume of messages going out on public-html, and every discussion
that takes place on that list that is not directly related to the
technical work that the group needs to be doing in order to meet
its goals is, to some degree, a distraction from those goals.

I hope you can understand that and agree that we need to all be
doing what we can to minimize the level of unnecessary traffic on
the list and to help keep the list discussions focused on specific
details of the actual specification.

For discussion of issues like the one you raised, probably the
best place to talk about them is in real time on the #public-html
working group channel on irc.w3.org, port 6665 or port 80. A
number of very active members of the HTML working group are on
that channel every day, as are Karl and Dan from the W3C team. So
if you were to get on there and ping Anne and talk with him there
about it, I think you could probably save a lot of time that you
two might otherwise spend trading e-mail message about this.

Like I said, this is just a suggestion, not an official directive.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/