Re: html 5 and accessibility issue - need of fallback content (www-archive)

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:19:34 -0500
Cc: "www-archive@w3.org" <www-archive@w3.org>
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>

On Jul 2, 2007, at 3:42 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 22:05:11 +0200, Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
> wrote:
>> I can't think of any reason not to continue accommodating the use-
>> cases accommodated by HTML4
>
> Since you mentioned them a few times, do you perhaps have a pointer
> to those use cases?

I forget what the context is on this. Is this about the @summary and
@longdesc? The sue cases are authors who want to provide possibly
lengthy and possibly semantically rich description of inherently
visual content to those who have a visual impairment. In the case of
@summary, that doesn't necessarily meet the semantically rich
description criteria, but it can be potentially lengthy and
descriptive. In particular this is a use-case for description that is
redundant for sighted users and would even be annoying for them to
have to read (if it was displayed by default).

I hope that addresses your question.

Take care,
Rob