Re: How to link W3C Technical Reports

Hi Björn,

Le 28 févr. 2007 à 09:19, Bjoern Hoehrmann a écrit :
> My link should neither break nor reference outdated information (until
> the Odiferous Style Sheets 1.0 Recommendation is no longer believed to
> be appropriate for implementation). How can I make such a link (there
> obviously is no simple answer to this)? If that is not possible, why
> not?

Do you have a suggestion? or a series of suggestions? Just to have
more things to chew on.

It sounds like that Normative References on the wiki[1] is a good
place to gather our issues and thoughts. There is also the section on
how to cite Unicode [2][3] which is given in the QA Framework
Specification guidelines[4][5]

# Some Thoughts

The link will never break if the link is made to the dated version,
but might be outdated if a future version is released. The way we do
now is a double link for global references (which doesn't solve your
issue but might lead us to a best practice.)

Example:

     XML10
     Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Third
     Edition), E. Maler, J. Paoli, F. Yergeau, T. Bray, C. M.
     Sperberg-McQueen, Editors, W3C Recommendation, 4 February
     2004,
     http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/ .
     Latest version available at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/
     .

What I tend to do myself is to give two references. For example, in
the QA Framework Specifications Guidelines.

     Some of these classes of products have various
     degrees of conformance (Appendix G: Conformance
     Criteria [SVG11]), e.g., static / dynamic for
     interpreters and static / dynamic for high-quality
     for viewers. SVG 1.1 also defines modules that are
     grouped into profiles (tiny/mobile/full).

Which gives in terms of markup

     Some of these classes of products have
     http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-SVG11-20030114/conform.html">
     various degrees of conformance</a> (Appendix G:
     Conformance Criteria [<a href="#SVG11">SVG11</a>]),
     e.g., static / dynamic for interpreters and static /
     dynamic for high-quality for viewers. SVG 1.1 also
     defines modules that are grouped into profiles
     (tiny/mobile/full).

Not perfect but giving a start.

It raises another wider issues, which is technical dependencies
management. When I scratch here (Tokyo) with my nail (modify a
technology), does it make an earthquake in San Francisco (other
technologies which are affected.)

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/NormativeReferences
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-charmod-20050215/#sec-RefUnicode
[3] http://www.unicode.org/unicode/standard/versions/#Citations