Re: [RESEND] Media types for RDF languages N3 and Turtle

From: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 06:59:15 -0800
To: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
CC: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>, ietf-types@iana.org, "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@miscoranda.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, Dave Beckett <dave@dajobe.org>, Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, www-archive@w3.org

Garret Wilson wrote:
> I don't have a strong opinion here, but I will point out that RFC 2046
> talks about the category being "the highest level" division and that
> it is "useful". To me, it is useful at a high level to note that the
> content types discussed here have the following characteristics:
>
> * The content bytes are interpreted as text characters (i.e. Unicode
> code points); ignoring encoding, no bytes are interpreted as anything
> other than text characters. (These text characters may later be
> subject to some meta-interpretation---e.g. delimiters---but they are
> first interpreted as text characters.)
>
> * These content types can always be edited in a text editor.
>
> * Abstract values, such as numbers, are represented by their text
> lexical forms, not by some non-text encoding.

Oh, and I forgot to add (perhaps most importantly):

* I can allow CVS or Subversion or some other version control system
manage the file as text, not binary, even able to do diffs and merges
based upon end-of-line characters.

To me, that's where the power of the text/* types come in---we can do
processing on them as text.

Garret