Re: Media types for RDF languages N3 and Turtle

From: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:50:23 -0800
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@miscoranda.com>
CC: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>, ietf-types@iana.org, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, Dave Beckett <dave@dajobe.org>, Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>, Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, www-archive@w3.org

Sean B. Palmer wrote:
> Perhaps, as Dan Connolly suggested on IRC, some civil disobedience of
> RFC 2046 is called for here--as long as we're sure that this won't
> cause any security or interoperability problems that would make it not
> worth the effort.

I would wholeheartedly be in favor of that course, as long as we:

* thoroughly document what we're doing, explaining why we're doing it;
* publicize what we're doing; and
* encourage others to follow suit.

I don't think waiting for an RFC 2046 replacement would be productive,
but I also don't think it's helpful if we do this in some dark, obscure
corner. Let's do the Right Thing, yet try to get everyone to follow.

Garret