POWDER: tools and motivations

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:07:56 +0000
To: www-archive@w3.org, Phil Archer <parcher@icra.org>, "Carroll, Jeremy John" <jeremy.carroll@hp.com>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>
CC: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>

Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> - tools and motivations
> Why o why are we bothered?

For all of the use cases in POWDER UCR
I think that special purpose POWDER software is needed.

However, the more that POWDER builds on other recommendations, in a
manner that is fully compliant with those recommendations, the more
likely it is that such special purpose POWDER software can be built
cheaply, effectively and correctly.

To the extent that POWDER deviates from the formal semantics of RDF
and/or OWL, there is a danger that POWDER software implementors will end
up fighting tools that conform with such semantics, as opposed to using

However, from the point of view of the POWDER WG and users this is a
'shades of grey' issue, rather than a black-and-white conform or not.
Minor deviations from the RDF and OWL semantics, while not something *I*
would want to encourage, are unlikely to be too costly to the POWDER