Re: DogFood (and inline/block constraints)

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Dan Connolly wrote:

> > Even "Bad value text for attribute type on XHTML element input." is
> > technically correct although not exactly helpful (see error class 4
> > below). This message is the #1 usability bug, BTW.
>
> I think it's a spec bug.
>
> I don't think it's cost-effective to try to constrain authors in this
> respect. I hope this constraint is dropped from HTML 5.

It's actually a relaxation of constraints in HTML4. In HTML4 the element
isn't allowed there at all, but we figured that was too strict when it
came to the type="hidden" value elements, since those don't affect the
user at all (they're hidden by definition).