Re: Seeing the open issues

Hi Ian,

In your off (HTML WG) list response
[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2007Aug/0024.html
]
you have offered to help make a second "accessible" version of
http://www.whatwg.org/issues/

This is I believe is misguided and somewhat disingenuous:

"[09:51] <Hixie> and frankly, i don't care if it doesn't work in IE7
[09:51] <Hixie> that's IE7's prblem
[09:53] <Lachy> just that IE users are complaining
[09:53] <Hixie> that's their problem
[09:53] <Hixie> they need a better browser"

cite: http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20070821

If it is technically feasible as you infer (in your email) to provide a
version of the page that can be displayed in IE why not provide it in the
first place rather than having to duplicate the effort in developing a
second version? Providing an "accessible" alternative is always a last
resort.

Often times arguments on the HTML WG  mailing list are based on concepts
such as "real world" use cases. IE is a mainstream browser used by many
people.
Another concept is that "accessibility should be built in". Reasonable
efforts should be made to ensure that content for the consumption of
the working group members is designed to be displayed without users having
to jump through hoops in order to be able to access it.
The popular "pave the cowpaths" concept also comes to mind. Many users use
IE to access web content, design content so it can also be viewed in IE.

I suggest that the principles that result in accessible and usable content
are applied in the design process, rather than having to waste time
re-engineering.