Re: draft: forms task force volunteers? (tasks survey)

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 07:58 -0700, John Boyer wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> I would like to have a bit more written about it, perhaps
> incorporating the combined text from the HTML WG charter, the Forms WG
> charter and the vision document
> (http://www.w3.org/2007/03/html-forms-vision.html).  How about this:
>
> ======================================
> The HTML Working Group and the Forms Working Group are chartered to
> work together on a Joint Task Force to define the Forms component of
> the next version of HTML.
>
> The charters calls for two equivalent serializations to be developed,
> corresponding to a single DOM (or infoset, though tag soup cannot be
> considered to have an infoset currently, while it can have a DOM).

I'm not inclined to paraphrase the charters. Is there a verbatim
quote that would make this point?

>  This ensures that decisions are not made which would not preclude an
> XML serialization. It allows the two serializations to be
> inter-converted automatically. Having new language features, there is
> an incentive for content authors to use it; and having client-side
> implementations means that there is the possibility to really use it.
> It is a goal of this work to make it possible for document authors to
> recognize and understand the tags of an HTML Form, whether or not it
> uses an XML serialization.
>
> The current W3C Recommendation for Forms, XForms 1.0, has found
> success at meeting the more complex demands of forms in the enterprise
> market, whereas the Web Forms 2 work was designed to emphasize ease of
> authoring requirements.

I don't know enough about XForms in the enterprise market to answer
follow-up questions that are likely to come from that.
I don't know the design rationale for Web Forms 2 either. So I'd
rather leave that out. Perhaps there's a verbatim quote about
the Web Forms 2 design rational?

>   It is a goal for this work to draw on the Web Forms 2 work to assist
> with meeting ease of authoring requirements while also being aligned
> to the XForms architecture (following design principles such as the
> separation of presentation from content). This new deliverable, the
> XML serialization of which has been termed XForms Transitional, will
> therefore offer ease of authoring as well as a smooth upgrade path
> towards XForms as complexities of the forms application grows over
> time.

Again, I'm not inclined to make up new words about what the goals
are.

I still lean toward the simple style, but I'm happy to look
at other suggestions.