Re: FYI: application/www-form-urlencoded

* Mark Nottingham wrote:
>One immediate area of concern; some other uses of the "x-" prefix are
>optional, and it may be that some software is out there that
>recognises "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" and "application/www-
>form-urlencoded".
>
>Have you looked into this, or considered using a more distinct
>subtype to avoid such problems?

PHP5 and CGI.pm do not apply any special treatment to entities of this
type, and if I remember correctly, the same applies to JSP and .NET /
their frameworks. There may be well some scripts that "recognize" the
type in some way, and process entities of this type in some incompatible
way, but I don't think this poses any problem. In order to pose a
problem you would need a situation where

  * application a generates www-form-urlencoded enties in some in-
    compatible form

  * application b processes www-form-urlencoded enties in some in-
    compatible way

  * neither a nor b can be upgraded

  * yet either or both wants to use the "new" www-form-urlencoded
    format

I think this can be ruled out or at least ignored.