Re: CSSOM Issues, as mentioned on IRC

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:50:43 +0100, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:
> The CSSStyleDeclaration interface is missing a heading and, therefore,
> missing from the TOC.

This should be fixed.

> Has DOMImplementationCSS been obsoleted too?  It's not listed in that
> referenced e-mail and not in the current draft.

This should now be mentioned in the draft. In DOM Level 2 Style it didn't
really solve any use cases so retaining it didn't seem necessary.

> With CSSStyleDeclarationProperties, I assume those are going to be
> backwards compatible with the existing properties specified by
> CSS2Properties, but I don't understand the types like CSSAngleValue,
> CSSColorValue, CSSLengthValue, etc

Those types are there to allow things like:

   .style.color.red = 200;

or

   .style.color.red++

> They're obviously to be defined, but CSS2Properties defined all those
> properties as DOMString, so they'd have to be some form of string, but
> their name suggests some kind of similarity to CSSValue, which is
> obsolete.

Well, the plan is to design CSSValue again in a way that works nice. For
ECMAScript at least. I'm currently calling it CSSPropertyValue although
I'm tempted to just name it CSSValue again given that the former was
obsoleted anyway...

I think CSSPropertyValue should probably inherit from DOMString to make it
all work.

> But, assuming they will be backwards compatible with DOMString, couldn't
> you just redefine the existing CSSProperties interface instead of
> introducing a new one?

I'd like to use the interface for all properties, not just CSS2Properties.
Also, I'm not sure how compatible it would be with other languages...

> Finally, my name is missing from the Acknowledgements list. :-)

Not anymore.

Further comments can be e-mailed to www-style@w3.org or directly to me.

--
Anne van Kesteren