semweb syntax engineering

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:08:39 -0500
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>, www-archive@w3.org, Eric Miller <em@w3.org>

Sandro, re...

"The machine needs to dereference the namespace/tag URIs to tell which
tags are which kind of name, unless it has been given local information
or some kind of over-ride."
 -- http://www.w3.org/2005/06/semantic-xml/

that violates a basic design requirement of RDF/XML: that the syntax
be locally evident. This was an operational requirement of PICS
("I can't afford to fetch a schema...") but I think there's more
to it than that.

Hmm... I thought this was written up in
  http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-webarch-extlang-19980210
or
  http://www.w3.org/1999/04/WebData
but I don't see it.

On the flip side, if you're willing to give up the locally-evident
requirement, you might as well go nuts. I have long thought that
the constrained RDF/XML syntax was only one part of the story;
that pretty much any syntax should be usable, as long as there's
a schema somewhere that tells you how to treat it as a logical
formula. This notion was in various drafts of various RDF WG
charters, but we have not yet pursued it in a standards-track way.

GRDDL is sorta the extreme of this "go nuts" idea, with a
totally turing-complete mapping to the constrained syntax.

Meanwhile, also in the syntax engineering space, I wonder
if you ever saw...

data, an RDF syntax born of jetlag and nxml-mode