Re: any news on RDF Forms?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:25:04 -0500
To: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, www-archive@w3.org

On 12/13/05, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 03:19:25PM -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
> > "ACTION MarkB: rev RDF Forms spec w.r.t. feedback received here today;
> > ETA: one month"
> >  -- http://swig.xmlhack.com/2005/10/05/2005-10-05.html#1128524113.602537
>
> Company man that I am, I'd like to know more about:.
> [[
> XForms; if XForms were done in RDF, gave everything a URI, and broke
> from the general "form" container to the Container & Indexable
> abstractions, it would look a whole lot like RDF Forms.
> ]]
>
> Naturally, I'm keenly interested in reusing the conceptual model of
> XForms if it's appropriate, and understanding why not if it's not.
>
> Is it awkward to cast RDF-Forms as a projection of XForms into RDF?
> Doing that, we'd suddenly have a lot of spec written, significant
> community review, and maybe XForms->RDFForms XSLTs* and even some
> usable code.

True enough.

In fact, one of the changes I'm making for RDF Forms v2 will help make
this simpler by permitting use of a single containing element.  That
wasn't to accomodate what you're talking about there, but instead to
more easily support other (non GET & POST) HTTP methods, including
those not yet deployed.

e.g. instead of requiring;

<rf:Container rdf:about="http://example.org/foo">...

this semantically-identical equivalent could be used;

<rf:Form rf:method="POST" rdf:about="http://example.org/foo">

> * could a normailzation of RDF Forms with a closed content model
>   make RDFForms->XForms XSLTs possible? Then there'd be tools that
>   could do the hard job of interacting with the user.
>   http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/#implementations

I don't know enough about XForms to say, but I bet something's doable
along those lines.

Mark.