Unit of provenance

From: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:50:30 +0100
To: Andy Seaborne <Andy_Seaborne@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>

Andy,

> > Section 9.
> >
> > Constraining the source of a pattern seems to be only a (small) part of
> the
> > provenance story.  Is it not also desirable to query the source.
> >
> > Oops!  I now see that <source> can be a variable.  OK, that's neat, and
> > works cleanly at the natural unit of provenance, viz the statement.
>
>Our unit of provenance could also be viewed as the subgraph because graphs
>are the unit of exchange.  Need to take this on board for the next round
>of drafting.

Hmmm, that was my bad wording, not yours.  It's pretty clear (to me, at
least) that the provenance can be applied to a collection of statements --
a (sub)graph.

What I meant to say was something like "natural (finest) granularity of
provenance".  My (rather obvious, I think) point being that provenance
doesn't make sense applied to anything smaller than a statement, and your
design captures that neatly.  (As in:  what's the provenance of node
X?  Nonsense!)

#g

Graham Klyne
For email: