Re: [Fwd: RE: "information resource"]

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:29:06 -0400
To: "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org

[offline]

Hey again,

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 03:00:14PM +0100, Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) wrote:
> XML
> and
> > > >

> > > Small point... but that would depend on whether you regarded the
> > > request URI (or URI returned in header fields) part of any of the
> > > messages exchanged.
> >
> > I don't believe so.  The response messages would certainly be
> > different if the URIs were included, but not different in a
> > way which licenses the recipient to determine whether the
> > essential characteristic I'm describing is present or not.
>
> You stated that a distinguishing "essential charateristic" isn't
> reflected in the messsages. I was remarking that the distinguishing
> characteristic is 'reflected' in the use of (at least) different request
> URI... (the request message being one of the messages exchanged to
> obtain a response).

We must be talking past one another...

I'm talking about the "essential characterisitic" (per the Basel
definition of "information resource") of a commitment to reflect the
future states of a resource via its representations.  That commitment,
or lack of it, isn't reflected in any messages even though the
messages may differ.

I think if there's any argument to be had here, it would be with my
assertion that this commitment is an "essential characterisitic" of a
resource.

Mark.