Re: Mozilla Intranet focus and quality Assurance.

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Jim Ley wrote:
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4096B118.3050903%40meer.net
>
> Interesting, I'm slightly confused though about what::
>
> "if someone wants to step up, implement XForms well, and own the code,
> Mozilla will take it as an extension"
>
> means in relation to patches?  Where does this ownership come from, and
> exactly what is required?

"Ownership" in this context refers to continued involvement in maintaining
the code and fixing bugs, if any. "An extension" in this context would be
a Mozilla XPI, presumably with the blessing of mozilla.org so that users
wishing this support could easily find and install it without it affecting
normal users. IBM and Novell have announced work on such an extension for
XForms support, for instance, and there is also an MNG extension available
for adding MNG support.

For features such as those you proposed, a similar extension could be
created which provided the features without bloating the primary codebase
with redundant features. Users of the intranet sites you referred to which
make use of these features could then install your XPI and use Mozilla on
those sites, instead of requiring those sites to switch from the
proprietary extensions they use now to the proprietary extensions
supported by Mozilla already.

> > > How is Quality Assurance conducted within in Mozilla?
> >
> > By anyone who files a bug.
>
> No, could you describe the process by which reported bugs are marked as
> INVALID/WONTFIX etc. by the QA contact on the bugs, or where I could
> find the description?

The QA Contact field is meaningless and is mostly just used as a
convenient way of being cc'ed on bugs in a component.

> I understood that the group described by the web documents available
> after making an HTTP GET on http://www.mozilla.org/quality/ to be
> Mozilla QA.

That group has nothing to do with the QA Contact field in Bugzilla, and
is, as I said, "anyone who files a bug" (and sticks around long enough to
look at other bugs).