Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: Detailed last call comments (all chapters)

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Antoine Quint wrote:

> > [Taken off www-svg since JonF requested that I not send non-SVG-related
> > content to the www-svg list. cc'ing www-archive instead.]
>
> Let's just say that you might not make as much of a fool of yourself on this
> list where no one is aware this thread continues. Well done.

It should be quite clear by now that I have no worries about looking like
a fool. If you want to forward my message (or this one) to www-svg, feel
free to do so. Jon asked me not to, I'm acquiescing to his request.

> > > Can you elaborate on how <canvas> makes dynamic graphics generation
> > > easier with a concrete example?
>
> That's just code, not a detailed analysis about how <canvas> is a fitter
> contribution to web development than SVG for the creation of "dynamic
> stock graphs, maps, and the like".

My apologies, I thought by "concrete example" you meant "code". What did
you mean by "concrete example"?

If you want "a detailed analysis about how <canvas> is a fitter
contribution to web development than SVG for the creation of "dynamic
stock graphs, maps, and the like"", then you are asking the wrong person,
since I never said that it was.

I did say that "dynamic stock graphs are easiest done with something like
Apple's <canvas>". I think that is true, because updating path data in an
SVG fragment is harder than simply plotting a new line using the canvas
APIs. I may be mistaken.

A better example of something that <canvas> makes easier is things like
games (things like Doom, platform games, etc). When you need fast frame
rates, where you really don't need a DOM, where objects will be created
and dropped at a moment's notice, where bitmap sprites are to be thrown
around like there's no tomorrow, etc.

But I never said that <canvas> was better than SVG. I didn't even compare
them. I don't think they are competing technologies. I'm recommending that
Web browsers implement both <canvas> (and the rest of Web Apps, once it's
ready) and SVG 1.1.

> > Say you wanted to draw a circle around a point on a photograph, as
> > part of a Web page. Radius 10px, two pixel black stroke, no fill. In
> > the examples below I've omitted the fallback content in both versions,
> > in order to concentrate on the differences.
>
> You sure didn't ignore the pedantic programming style to make sure your
> comparison was well-biased.

I used the SVG DOM, on the assumption that it was designed to be better
than the Core DOM (otherwise, what's the point in having it).

> First, strip off the <html> that you don't need in that case, and the
> stylesheet since we don't need it anymore (you can't position a circle
> using CSS in SVG).

The context of this was a a photograph in an HTML document. So you need
the <html> there, and you need the stylesheet to position the <svg>
element itself.

If you drop <html> and the stylesheet, you might as well drop it in the
<canvas> case too, and use <canvas> as the root element. It makes about as
much sense.

> Code length doesn't have anything to do with code complexity by the way.
> I trimmed down DOM calls to a minimum here, but if you wanted to do it
> in a more verbose and possibly clearer way (using a separate
> setAttributeNS() call for each attribute) then complexity remains the
> same as it's only one method reused all over again.

Your example still looks more confusing than the <canvas> equivalent, to
me. But I guess it's a matter of personal preference.