Re: Named graphs etc

On Mar 12, 2004, at 20:00, ext Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> Pat Hayes wrote:
>
>> We could of course offer the pragmatic advice that if ex:thing is a
>> graph or a web resource, then the agent is understood to be the owner
>> of that resource. But this is a work-around, seems to me, rather than
>> a principled way to handle this issue.  (Can't you just hear the
>> debates this will produce? People are still arguing about using
>> homepage URIs to identify people.)
>> I would like us to punt on that aspect of the whole matter, and just
>> assume that there is some externally-provided way to determine if the
>> agent doing the publishing is the one referred to in the graph, which
>> is all that really matters. Having ex:thing be the URI of the graph
>> or document is one way, but there might be others.
>
> I've just tried to show how we could sketch how, ex:thing could refer
> to a person or company, and then we can link the verification of sigs
> into current technology (I doubt you've got there yet Pat).
>
> However, I feel happier with a punt overall, perhaps with a short
> sketch that shows how current Public Key Infrastructure can be used

OK. Perhaps using the term trix:Authority simply as a tool for
discussion,
saying clearly that we're not going to define precisely what it is, but
e.g. that it *could* be taken to be the class of entities for which e.g.
the following example using PKI would act as authorities... etc.

I.e., the precise definition of what a trix:Authority is, is left as
future work...

Eh?

Patrick

--