Re: Named graphs etc

On Mar 09, 2004, at 13:18, ext Chris Bizer wrote:

>> Is it information, or better considered meta-information? Can the
>> provenance info be accessed separately from the graph itself?
>
> Yes.

Here's where I think we need to make an important distinction between
"authoritative" qualification of a graph and third-party qualification
of a graph.

It may be the case that an agent trusts certain third parties, and even
may choose to trust statements made about a graph by a third party over
statements made about the graph in the graph itself (e.g. the owner
of the graph specifies a higher accuracy percentage than the
more-trusted
third party, or the owner of the graph doesn't explicitly state that the
graph is asserted but the third party does, etc.).

Note that the ability to consider third party statements about a graph
still doesn't preclude the need for a bootstrapping mechanism, since,
after all, one has to determine the trust associated with the graph
containing those third party statements as well...

> I see the trust layer more as an application domain for named graphs.
> So for defining named graphs we don't have to go too far.

We at least seem to agree on this particular point.

Cheers,

Patrick

(sorry, Pat, for being in a closer timezone to Chris and pre-empting
your right to first reply...)

--

Patrick Stickler
Nokia, Finland