From: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>
To: <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: <phayes@ihmc.us>; <chris@bizer.de>; <www-archive@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 12:00 PM
Subject: Manditory vs. Optional graph names in TriX

Absolutely.

> Your use case is fairly compelling ...
>
> we could change the DTD and Schema back and add a note somewhere like:
>
> [[
> TriX can be used as an alterative to RDF/XML
> for serializing unnamed graphs, simply by
> omitting the graph name. Such graph elements are
> understood in the same way as an RDF/XML document.
> ]]

Exactly. This is how I have been thinking.

Names are new/optional, for new stuff like trust/provenance/quoting/etc.
but you can also benefit a great deal from TriX even if you don't care
about such new stuff.

> at some point we will end up having to address the underlying issue
> though. The above para is a fudge, in my view, since it
> doesn't tie in
> with the abstract syntax or formal semantics.

I think it does tie in, in the sense that a graph with no name
is simply out of scope of the formal semantics.

I don't see how it conflicts with the abstract syntax since
any intersection of statements between an unnamed graph (which
cannot be described by RDF statements, even if it exists) and
a named graph is, as far as I can see, innocuous.

Names are optional in the TriX serialization, even if they would
be manditory for the semantics of named graphs (duh).

Eh?

Patrick