Re: [w3photo] getting repository live

From: Libby Miller <Libby.Miller@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:36:26 +0000 (GMT)
To: Benjamin Nowack <bnowack@appmosphere.com>
Cc: Masahide Kanzaki <post@kanzaki.com>, semantic-photolist@unitboy.com, Libby Miller <Libby.Miller@bristol.ac.uk>

hi Masahide, Benjamin,

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Benjamin Nowack wrote:

> On 27.01.2004 10:54:41, Masahide Kanzaki wrote:
> >Hi Libby, nice validator :)

:) thanks Masahide!

> >I have a question on dc:rights example in
> >>http://esw.w3.org/topic/W3PhotoVocabs
> >
> >You put an example for 'license and rights properties for the metadata'
> >something like:
> >
> > <dc:rights>
> >  <cc:Agent>
> >   <dc:title>Libby Miller</dc:title>
> >   <dc:date>1001-07-23</dc:date>
> >  </cc:Agent>
> > </dc:rights>
> >
> >Should this cc:Agent have dc:date ? What does this date mean ?
> >
> >I think you've taken this fragment from CC's "Extending Creative Commons
> >Metadata" page, and it includes dc:title actually. But the page explains
> >this dc:date that "As you can see the copyright holder is a person with a
> >URL, a name and a date (of birth)." (forget about URL here..)
> >
> >If the above dc:date is intended as the copyright date, it should be the
> >date of the creation (of a photo), and thus I think it should be a property
> >of the Image itself, not of Agent (or at least needs another node along
> >with Agent). Make sense ?
> As far as I understand the CC instructions at [1], it is the date of birth
> of the agent who "owns" the metadata. IMHO we could omit dc:date for
> Agent. in CC's third example code they don't mention a dc:date (probably
> because they are talking about an organization).
> Furthermore cc:Agent seems to be equivalent to foaf:Agent, so we could
> perhaps state "foaf:Agent owl:equivalentClass/rdfs:subClassOf cc:Agent".
> then we could add a foaf:mbox_sha1sum to cc:Agent to better identify the
> metadata "owner". (don't know if people are going to enter a valid date
> of birth..)

I agree with Benjamin here: it is the date of birth; I think we can (and
should, for privacy reasons) omit it; and I think it is important to
have an identifying property for the Agent, like

Are there any objections to this? If not, I'll make the changes to the
examples, the wiki and the validator.

> another question:
> is there a difference between the author of the metadata and the agent in
> dc:rights of the metadata?
> if they are (always) the same we could use a nodeID for more compact
> metadata, e.g.:
> <rdf:Description rdf:about=''>
>   <an:annotates rdf:resource='...jpg'/>
>   <an:author>
>     <foaf:Person rdf:nodeID="p1">
>       <foaf:name>...</foaf:name>
>       <foaf:mbox_sha1sum>...</foaf:mbox_sha1sum>
>     </foaf:Person>
>   </an:author>
>   <an:created>2004-01-25T20:04:50Z</an:created>
>   <cc:license rdf:resource="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/..." />
>   <dc:rights rdf:nodeID="p1"/>
> </rdf:Description>

I *think* they will always be the same. That shortens things a bit,
which is nice (this technique could also be applied to the license for
the image and the dc creator of the image).

The only difference is that the dc:title of the Agent isn't there any
more. It was a little odd to use dc:title there in the first place, but
if there's a lot of data out there that uses that formulation, that
might be a case for continuing to use it.

Any opinions?

> but I don't know if this eases or complicates code generation and
> reasoning.. I'll shut up now.

I don't think so - unless tools are looking out for that dc:title...

> benjamin
> [1] http://creativecommons.org/technology/metadata/extend

Subscribe Instructions