Re: [w3photo] privacy, copyright and images

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:44:05 -0000
To: <semantic-photolist@unitboy.com>

"Libby Miller" <Libby.Miller@bristol.ac.uk>
> Two issues need more discussion:
> - link to or download the photos? (might sidestep some potential legal
> issues)

I believe link must be supported, it would be silly to demonstrate a
semantic _web_ that only actually supports a  semantic server.

> 1. one license for core set of photos held on server
>
> * avoids confusion
> * sidesteps issues with commercial work;

My fear is what is defined as commercial work, if I use the resource simply
as sample data in my free, open source (but funded by outside body) image
cataloguer, is that commercial work?   What if I take an image, or some
metadata and aggregrate it into to my commercial FOAF aggregrator (it's only
1 file out of many millions I aggregrate, and I take maybe 2 triples from
the metadata) is that against the terms of the licence, how do we make such
available to scutters in a language they can understand?

> <Jhendler> Greg - I can't take a random picture of you and sell it
> without your permission (legally) - so I'm thinking of two things -- one
> is privacy rights, the other is commercial development

Commercial use and privacy are completely orthogonal to my mind, it doesn't
matter if you're compromising my privacy for profit or fun, you're still
compromising it.  I'd also be very interested in seeing a citation of the
actual law that prevents random photos of people being sold, as it will
likely have other issues for us to consider.

Jim.