Re: [w3photo] Quicky Agenda

hi Greg, all,

re actions:
[[
#  libby/danbri/nick/steve: to work on an account of the data we'd
want. it may not need a new schema at all
]]
(action from http://esw.w3.org/topic/WWW2004)

An 'account of the data we'd want' is here
http://esw.w3.org/topic/ImageDescriptionRdfExamples

(thanks also to Jennifer Golbeck)

There are some example files, e.g:
http://swordfish.rdfweb.org/discovery/2004/01/www2004/path-eg.rdf

and I have used CWM to generate a schema:

http://swordfish.rdfweb.org/discovery/2004/01/www2004/schema-eg.rdf
using these sample data files:

kanzaki-eg.rdf  (thanks Masahide)
long-eg.rdf
path-eg.rdf

Couple of design decisions:

(1)In the examples and generated schema I've used Jim Ley's classes and
properties to describe parts of images; however it's clear that this
needs some more discussion, and indeed one of the purposes of the
proposed new list is to work this out:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/ImageDescriptionList

- I propose a specific IRC chat about this topic on another day

(2)I have reused classes and properties from existing vocabs rather than
create a new one. Jennifer Golbeck has taken a different tack:

http://www.mindswap.org/~glapizco/technical.owl

There is a clear difference in philosophy here between people who are
used to working with strong OWL (and perhaps RDFS) tools and those
without; from an OWL point of view in particular:

[[
<nmg> libby: in the OWL worldview, the axioms which form the links
between two existing ontologies are themselves another ontology which
extends both of the ontologies it links
]]

and owl:equivalentClass between classes means that they are the same
class, so from an owl point of view there is simply no difference
between using owl:equivalentClass and creating a new ontology, and
reusing existing terms.

For tools that don't have particularly good RDFS or OWL support there is
a big difference however, dramatically reducing interop and the
usefulness of the dataset (imho).

In addition, due to current processing capabilities it is generally
faster to mix vocabs directly rather than using equivalencies:

[[
<DanCon> I think equivalencies are for when you discover that they're
the same after-the-fact; it's antisocial to make aliases.

15:19:22 <DanCon> ... to make aliases on purpose, that is.
]]
http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/chatlogs/rdfig/2004-01-07#T15-18-49

I think this is an important issue (both for the image ontology and the
conference ontology), and so I'd like to see this on this or another
agenda so a decision can be made (we've had discussions but no decision
as yet:
http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/chatlogs/rdfig/2004-01-06#T15-39-28)

cheers,

Libby