Re: The lost meaning of the HTTP protocol in URIs

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:50:00 +0100
Cc: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org>, Public W3C <www-archive@w3.org>
To: seth@robustai.net
(sorry this email was delayed while I was traveling - in  heap of
windows)
On Monday, Sep 15, 2003, at 11:58 US/Eastern, Seth Russell wrote:

> Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>
> The XSLT namespace is in fact
>
> http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform
>
> An engineer who comes across a document which
> uses that namespace can look it up, and get information
> leading him or her to the XSTL specification.
>
> Ok, I found it :)  by a little human googeling around.

Googeling?

If I  click on the namespace URI,  I get a page saying

"""This is an XML namespace defined in the XSL Transformations (XSLT)
Version 1.0 specification.
"" "

with a link to the spec itself.  For a *human* user, that's pretty
direct, isn't it?

> In the semantic web, information can be used not only be
> a person, but by a machine.
>
> But I doubt that a machine could have found it, based on the
> information returned from that URI.  :(   It's just so very
> dissappointing that even the W3C has not seen fit to provide a
> standard path from a namespace URI to a normative specification
> document - if for no other purpose than just to show them to humans.

We are trying!   It is slow when an area spans very different user
communities.