Re: Jena implementation report plans

At 10:50 AM +0100 9/8/03, Dave Reynolds wrote:
>[Not to the list since I assume I shouldn't be posting there myself.]

how about moving it to public-webont-comments or at least cc'ing
www-archives (like this) -- be nice to have this discussion in a
logged place --  however Dave, you're welcome to continue this on the
webont list so we can keep a single strand of discussion
  -JH

>Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>
>>  I don't understand this distinction.  Why cannot the first formulation also
>>  be trivially mechanically translated into a query for an RDF API in exactly
>>  the same way that the second can?
>
>It can be, but only if all the comprehension inferences are enabled.
>There are some issues with that for a triple interface.
>
>>  Given that I don't see any significant difference between the two
>>  formulations aside from the need for comprehension inferences in the
>>  first I don't see any benefit here apart from a test for comprehension
>>  inferences.
>
>That is the suggested benefit - separating tests of the
>comprehension inferences from tests of the other inferences.
>
>Ian Horrocks wrote:
>
>>  Even adding duplicate easier versions of tests seems to be
>>  misguided. If we want to "encourage" implementors, we could simply add
>>  lots of trivial tests that everyone can easily pass (just to be clear,
>>  I am not suggesting this!). And where does this end - do we add
>>  multiple versions of every test, each carefully tuned so that it can
>>  be passed by a given implementation?
>
>That's a fair concern.
>
>It does seem likely that there will be quite a few implementions of
>non-identical non-lite/dl subsets of OWL/Full and having a
>sufficient spectrum of tests to enable developers to compare such
>subsets could be useful. In particular, people coming to this from
>the RDF world will be expecting that RDFS inferences and free use of
>RDF (e.g. use of bNodes) will remain possible - this will
>immediately place them in this "non-lite/dl subset of OWL/full"
>category. Limiting the comprehension inferences is, possibly, one
>way that some implementors of this category might moderate the
>unboundedness of OWL/full.
>
>This was intended as a constructive suggestion and I certainly don't
>want to undermine the tests in any way - I'll accept whatever the
>working group consensus is.
>
>Dave

Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  *** 240-277-3388 (Cell)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler      *** NOTE CHANGED CELL NUMBER ***