Re: The <id> element

Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn.ulsberg@nrk.no> writes:

> Regarding the <id> element, it would probably be nice to take
> advantage of the October 5th TAG finding; "How should the problem of
> identifying ID semantics in XML languages be addressed in the
> absence of a DTD?";
>
> <url:http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/xmlIDsemantics-32.html>
>
> Though Atom will probably have a DTD declaring the semantics of the
> ID, it would still be neat to follow the possible reccomendation
> deduced by this finding.

As far as I can tell, that finding concerns only XML 1.0 ID
attributes[1], a document instance local identifier.

Although some of the Atom examples were changed to show XML IDs for
<id>, the consensus and specs to date (on and off wiki) have <id>
being a URI, a global identifier.

Maybe it's time to reconfirm that <id> is a URI and update the
examples to match.

  -- Ken

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-attribute-types