Re: vass-01 flat layering

From: Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo@agfa.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 02:33:31 +0200
To: phayes@ai.uwf.edu
Cc: www-archive@w3.org

had to to cc w3c archive (learned from DanC)
and I'm convinced you don't mind

PS still assuming that
owl:Class owl:equivalentClass rdfs:Class.

----- Forwarded by Jos De_Roo/AMDUS/MOR/Agfa-NV/BE/BAYER on 2003-05-28
02:27 AM -----
                    Jos De_Roo
                                         To:     pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>@AGFASMTP
                    2003-05-28           cc:
                    02:02 AM             Subject:     Re: vass-01 flat layering(Document link: Jos De_Roo)

indeed, owl:comlementOf a denumerable set
such as rdfs:Class (with cardinal number w)
seems arbitrary given the axiom of choice
when owl:Class is put after ordinal w
ie outside, we have a corresponding queue
where we put owl:Class at the first row and
then it is inside...

                    pat hayes
                    <phayes@ai.uwf       To:     Jos De_Roo/AMDUS/MOR/Agfa-NV/BE/BAYER@AGFA
                    .edu>                cc:
                                         Subject:     Re: vass-01 flat layering
                    12:38 AM

>[just a moment...]
>>  I think we
>>  could do a fairly exact job on this which a lot of people would find
>>  helpful.  Since Jeremy has already done the donkey work for this in
>>  defining how to tell if an OWL-RDf graph is in OWL-DL ( which is
>>  precisely the 'layered' subset of OWL in this sense),...
>I have an extremely big problem...

I agree this is really nasty one, but its an OWL problem. Meanwhile,
I think that providing a (non-normative, but) relatively precise
appendix in the RDF docs for these folk to use as a guide to 'layered
RDFS') will be useful and harmless. (No complementOf in RDFS)

>Such layering people say for instance that
>rdfs:Class a [ owl:complementOf owl:Class].
>(although they can't express it in OWL DL,
>they mean it, after all, is about layering)
>So we have an inconsistency with
>rdfs:Class a owl:Class. (*)
>owl:Class means different things
>is completely uninteroperable ;-(

I agree, and have been trying to fix this. owl:Class ought to mean
the same in OWL-Full as it does in OWL-DL; that would be the rational
way to go.  But it will take some work, because mapping between
OWL-Dl and OWL-full will now require reinterpreting owl:ComplementOf,
and Peter will not be happy.  But that's on the other WG.

IHMC                                                (850)434 8903 or
(650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.                                (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola                                           (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501                                                 (850)291 0667
phayes@ai.uwf.edu                   http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam