listbox signup process misuses HTTP GET (was: confirm svbscribe to spf-announce)

From: Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@impressive.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:27:58 +0200
To: support@listbox.com
Cc: public message archive <www-archive@w3.org>
[resend, sorry; I forwarded the wrong message last time.]

Hi,

I just joined a couple listbox lists, and the process is very nice
but the confirmation process misuses HTTP GET: fetching a URL should
not have side effects like confirming a mailing list subscription.

Could you please change it to use HTTP POST instead? (the URL can
display a simple web form that the user posts to confirm.)

Further reading on GET vs POST:

    Forms: GET and POST
    http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/Input

    Axioms of Web architecture: Identity, State and GET
    http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Axioms#state

    HTTP 1.1 section 9.1: Safe and Idempotent Methods
    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9.1

    HTML 4.01 section 17.13: Form submission
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.13

    URIs, Addressability, and the use of HTTP GET and POST
    http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/whenToUseGet.html

Thanks!

--
Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@impressive.net>
http://impressive.net/people/gerald/

attached mail follows:

just reply to this message or click on the link below,
and you will be subscribed to the list.

  http://v2.listbox.com/subscribe/?confirm=59776-8fc11c

This list is for announcements regarding the proposed SPF standard.

The SPF standard is a hybrid of Gordon Fecyk's DMP proposal
and Hadmut Danisch's RMX proposal.  More information at
 http://dumbo.pobox.com/spf/

Official announcements regarding SPF will be made on this list.
You are invited to discuss SPF on spf-discuss@v2.listbox.com

If you do not want to subscribe, just delete this message.

Cheers
The Listbox Robot

-----
signup request: web from 81.48.48.180