Web Forms 2.0 Feedback

From: Gervase Markham <gerv@gerv.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:45:12 +0000
To: htmlforms@damowmow.com
Cc: www-archive@w3.org

Hixie,

Another thought. Often, one wants to have a checkbox in the UI which is
inverted in relation to the underlying program code. This could be for
usability reasons.

For example, in Bugzilla, we have a checkbox which says "only email me
changes made by other people". However, underneath, it's implemented as
"ExcludeSelf", so if the checkbox is ticked, the preference is unset,
and vice versa.

So, would it be possible to add an attribute to checkboxes which says
that they are successful if _un_checked?

That way, you can write code which says "for every pref on my list of
prefs I know are edited on this page, set the pref if the form value is
defined, otherwise unset it", but still decouple the UI and the
underlying implementation - the implementation doesn't force the sense
of the checkbox.

Does that make any sense at all? :-)

Gerv